Friday, May 9, 2014

Dear Mother's Day

Dear Mother's Day,

You are such a complicated day. I'm not sure whether to give you a warm embrace or throw you out the window.

When I was young, you were fun, full of crafts and yummy things to eat. As I grew up, you became more of a Hallmark and FTD requirement. Eventually you lightened up and felt more like a trip down memory lane. Then a time came when I hated you- I wanted to hide and cry every time you came around. Just a few years ago, I softened to you, feeling closer to you, that we belonged together.  But now, I'm a little concerned that you are not who I thought you were.

You are beautiful and sweet on the outside, but there is a darkness inside. You give us the chance to celebrate and love on moms we care deeply about. You allow us a special moment to lift them up and serve them. But you also cast a shadow on the children who have lost parents, on the moms who have lost children, on the moms that desperately want to be but aren't, on stepmoms that get overlooked, on single moms that have no support, on the young pregnant girl that is terrified to be a mom, on the girl who gave her child up for adoption, on the one who mourns her abortion.

Mother's Day, I'm just not sure what to do with you. For so long I wanted you to celebrate me; I wanted you to be MY day. But now that I've tasted the heartache and I've seen the pain in others, I want so much more from you. I still want you to celebrate moms, but I also want you to swoop up and comfort the broken and hurting.

I guess I can't expect you to do that all by yourself. After all, you are just a day.

But you are a day that gives ME the opportunity to do something for someone else.

"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him."  John 13:14-16

Oh Mother's Day, can we can team up?  Will you help me bring light into some hidden dark places? Will you help me remind people that you're about celebrating those moms we love, but you're also about extending that love outside of our family to our neighbors that aren't celebrating? Maybe then we can become the best of friends.

Sincerely,

A Mom

Ps- Here are some great ways we can help Mother's Day out:

Mercy House Kenya

Stepping Up- Helping Others On Mother's Day

How Not To Be Disappointed This Mother's Day

Please Pick One

2 comments: